If you are an owner or managing partner of a firm, do the math. One rainmaker (you), or all, (your entire team)?
If you are the only one bringing in clients, there are limitations to your time, energy and focus. Whereas, if you get your entire team engaged in business development, or bringing in clients, the opportunities for growth are far greater.
So how do you go from a ‘one-person show’, (you are the only rainmaker), to getting your entire team out there growing your firm?
- Get the right people on your team-that starts with hiring.
- Establish the ‘new way’ with your new people-leverage the competitive nature to encourage your current people to step up.
- Give your people the support and learning opportunities to develop new skills-that starts with investing in them.
- Reward this new behavior-create a comprehensive bonus structure, somewhat like ‘profit-sharing’ to reward your people when they succeed.
- Tell the whole world about your firm and your approach-this will help you to continue to attract the very best and brightest.
When you go from one ‘rainmaker’ to an entire team of rainmakers, watch your firm grow.